Saturday 11 April 2009

The first sight of Hong Kong


I am currently sitting at the Hong Kong airport and it is just the most bloody brilliant airport that I have ever seen in my life. The airport is actually on an island. Our plane landed on a runway that ran parallel to the sea and when I say sea, I don’t mean that distant expanse of blue that I could see when we were landing, I mean the water that I could have waded into if I had gotten out of the plane and walked 200 mts to my left. I could see the boats and the jetties and the people on the distant island. It was just a beautiful sight and one that I won’t forget in a hurry. Here’s how I remember it.

Time: 7:30 in the morning.

The sky looked slightly overcast or maybe it was just the grey of a mild winter morning. Coming from the Indian heat, everything grey was a welcome change. I got out of the slumber I had fallen into after the horrible dinner served in the plane last night and was trying to peer outside through a light mist to see what Hong Kong looked like. I saw a huge expanse of aquamarine in the distance, extremely clear and calm, stretching out as far as my eyes could see. The plane was already in landing mode with the lovely green drawing ever so close which is when my hazy mind registered that we must be landing in Hong Kong and that this must be the sea. It was quite a breathtaking sight. Not any more than what I saw when I landed though. I walked down the steps and turned to realise that the beautiful water just a little way off. The slight breeze, though cold felt very liberating especially after the way I had been cooped up in the plane. The next connecting flight to Shanghai was 2 hours later and I had already fallen in love with the place enough to not want to go further, enough to feel sad at saying goodbye. I do intend to return back soon, someday in the future, maybe to share the sight with the people I love.

3 comments:

Scattershot said...

Ahem Ahem..Last line...! Do I know what your honeymoon destination is ? :P

notgogol said...

quaint blog.
The best part of Hong Kong, after the food , is the fact that you can step out of your hotel, walk for a minute, step into a subway station, check-in at the station, step onto the subway and ure dropped right outside ur departure gate!

P.S. Guangzhou is teeming with desis, especially punjus.

Expressing Myself.. said...

gghhgjhvjh